Wednesday, February 1, 2012

February is Black History Month


Black History Month
2012 Theme: Black Women in American Culture and History

Come see our display of books and videos relating to Black History Month on the 1st FL of the library (books and videos on this display can be checked-out). 

Black History Month grew out of Negro History Week, which was established in February 1926 by African-American historian Carter G. Woodson, who founded the Association for the Study of African-American Life and History. Expanded in 1976 to a month-long observance, this celebration of the contributions and achievements of African Americans was initially designed to encompass the birthday of the abolitionist orator and journalist Frederick Douglass (1817–1895) on February 14 as well as Abraham Lincoln’s Birthday. The event is widely observed by schools, churches, libraries, clubs, and organizations wishing to draw attention to the contributions of African Americans. ("Black History Month." Holidays, Festivals, and Celebrations of the World Dictionary. Detroit: Omnigraphics, Inc., 2010. Credo Reference. Web. 01 February 2012.)

Martin Luther King, the night before his assassination: "Like anybody, I would like to live a long life, longevity has its place. But I'm not concerned about that now, I just want to do God's will. And he has allowed me to go up to the mountain. And I've looked over, and I've seen the Promised Land. I may not get there with you, but I want you to know tonight, that we as a people, will get to the Promised Land. So I'm happy tonight, I'm not worried about anything, I'm not fearing any man! mine eyes have seen the glory of the coming of the Lord!!" (See King speak these words on the library’s database World History in Video).

Did you know.....?
In 1960, Wilma Rudolf was the first woman to win three gold medals in track and field in the Olympics. Another black woman, Valerie Briscoe Hooks also won three Olympic gold medals in 1984. (From Great Black Women, a film available for viewing from the library’s database, Films on Demand)
Wilma Rudolph
 The library’s database, “African American Newspapers, 1827-1998” gives a fascinating, primary source glimpse of American history from an African American perspective. 


Bessie Coleman was the first African Americans, male, or female, to earn a pilot's license. In the 1920s, Bessie Coleman toured the country as a barnstormer, performing aerobatics at air shows. 
Bessie Coleman
 Ella Fitzgerald survived a difficult youth during the depression to become an international star, pushing the boundaries of jazz and bebop, and demanding fair treatment wherever she performed, including the deep south. 

Ella Fitzgerald


No comments:

Post a Comment